Tuesday, November 27, 2012

update

I'd like feedback on the new render. I changed a lot and am looking for advice on composition and lighting mostly. Any feedback about anything would be nice though. Ignore the white spec on the glass that is in shadow, I'm still trying to figure out why that's happening.



Current Mission Statements



Lighting : To make the plane pop out but not seem unatural. contrast the orange/red of the plane with the cooler colors surrounding, hoping for a sorta troubled feel colors play a role in that


Composition : Utilize lines of the model to lead the eye to something worth looking at. also: Thinking about adding a little bit of Depth of Field to remove some of the weight of the mass of paint bottles.



Modeling : Break the left wing to be focal point, finish various blades for the x-acto(easy). stand for the plane.


Textures: Create a sense of realism

Overall: Make a piece the New York Times reporter would be interested in.



current:


old

5 comments:

  1. Things that stood out to me. 1st, plane is definitely popping better. looking good. The green pin looks unnatural, the resting knife kinda feels like it's floating, I wonder if it is getting too dark on the left. I would move the left small picture a little to avoid a close tangent with the wing. the frame on the big picture is a bit jarring in that right corner. It feels out of place and not really like a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my eye is being led to the plane and i feel like my eye stays in the frame pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to say wow. You've seriously made a lot of progress. The wood looks a lot more natural the glass paint bottles actually looks like glass. A couple of things that are still a little off to me: In the new comp (at least on my screen) the blacks a bit crushed. Its so dark I can't see what the box thing is (I only know by seeing the previous comp), and I don't konw that those are little exacto/knife type tools. They just look like shiny pieces of something attached to sticks, mirrors for all I know. Also, I think it would help if you could somehow find a higher resolution blueprint/instructions piece to lay it all on. The rest of the image is so clear and crisp that the blurry blueprint looks out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much second everything Jarom said, especially about the green pin. I love the wood and how it grabs you but i'm led to the right side of it and get stuck. I think it needs a bit more lighting to hint at the other objects. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright Jedi,

    First and foremost, really nice changes so far. I've been meaning to tell you this, the wood shader feels off. It feels really plasticky. Try taking the shading model from blinn to anisotropic instead and play with the x and y spread parameters and decrease your specular highlight intensity. Right now it is reading pretty hot for wood. Take a look at some reference of those things and see if you can even see much of a highlight at all. I imagine it is something similar to pine or pop sickle sticks (vending machine!!!)

    It might just be that your bump isn't working right. On a shader like that I imagine a 3D procedural shading network would be best with a noise with brownian or fractal applied with a frequency of 10x50x10 so you get randomized stripes. That will help it feel more like wood.

    Also, I think the key light should be coming from the left side. Remember you should have at least 3 lights. Key light, fill light (opposite side), and a bounce light (directional light facing downward to give the ground plane some ambient light) and a rim light (faces the camera straight on) if you want so it gets a glow around the edges.

    Also make sure you have an HDR plugged into the mental ray render settings as Image Based Lighting in the Indirect Lighting tab. Otherwise what is your glass reflecting? Theres not enough ambient light in the scene to make me feel like it's real.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete